Political leaders are always the talk of the town but only because of their political career they have been indulged in since a long time and why not. Apart from the political stuff, many of us are curious to know about the backgrounds of these political personalities. Where do they hail from? What did they do before their political life? And also what degrees have they pursued?
Haryana has so far had 10 Chief Ministers on duty. Some of them served for 4 years, some for even 7 & 9. Bhagwant Dayal Sharma was the first CM of Haryana who was a double post-graduate. You might be interested to get to know the educational background of everyone who served as a CM in Haryana. Here is a list of all the 10 Chief Ministers of Haryana and their educational qualifications.
Educational Qualifications Of CMs Of Haryana
1. Bhagwant Dayal Sharma
Dr. Bhagwant Dayal Sharma was popularly known by the name Pandit Ji. He was the first Chief Minister of Haryana whose tenure was from November 1966 to March 1967. He was one of the greatest and most celebrated leaders of the state. He also served as Governor of Odisha and Madhya Pradesh.
- He pursued MA from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- He pursued D.Litt. from Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak.
- B.D. Sharma was a Trade Unionist by profession.
2. Rao Birender Singh
The second CM of Haryana (March 1967-November 1967) served as a minister in Punjab before becoming a short-term CM of Haryana. Raja Rao Birender Singh Yadav also served as the second (first male speaker) of Haryana state assembly in 1967.
- In 1947, he served as the Army Captain.
- In 1950, he joined the Territorial Army as a Commissioned Officer.
- He was the founder of RBS College of Education – Rampura, Rewari.
3. Bansi Lal
Bansi Lal Legha has many titles to his names, was an Indian independence activist, senior Congress leader, former Defence Minister of India and was even considered by many people as the architect of modern Haryana. Bansi Lal served as Haryana’s CM for 7 years from May 1968 to November 1975 and then again in 1987 & 1996-1999 for 1 year & 3 years respectively.
- He was a BA graduate.
- He pursued LLB from Punjab University Law College, Jalandhar.
4. Banarsi Das Gupta
The 4th Chief Minister of Haryana, Banarsi Das Gupta served for 1.5 years fromDecember 1975-April 1977 and then for 51 days in 1990. He was a renowned freedom fighter, was elected thrice to the Haryana Legislative Assembly and once as its speaker.
- He was the founder and Patron of the Maharaja Agrasen Medical Education & Scientific Research Society, Haryana.
5. Devi Lal
Chaudhary Devi Lal served as the 6th Deputy Prime Minister of India in the governments of V.P. Singh and Chandra Shekhar. He was popularly known as Tau, emerged as the farmer leader from Haryana state and later served as the CM of Haryana, first from 1977 to 1979 and then from 1987 to 1989.
- Pursued 10th from Dev Samaj Public High School Moga.
- He quit his studies during his 10th and joined the freedom movement.
6. Bhajan Lal
Bhajanlal Bishnoi was a three-time CM from Haryana, first in 1979, then in 1982 and again in 1991. Bhajan Lal also served as the Union Agricultural Minister, Union Cabinet Minister at the center. He later formed his own party named Haryana Janhit Congress.
- Bhajan Lal was a farmer by profession.
- Started his political career straight by becoming a village Sarpanch.
7. Om Prakash Chautala
Om Prakash Chautal is the son of former serving CM of Haryana, Late Chaudhary Devi Lal. Following his father’s footprints, he also joined politics and later succeeded in becoming the CM of Haryana 4 times. He recently made headlines by appearing for the Class 10 English board exam.
- He quit education and then appeared for 10th exams while in prison.
8. Hukam Singh
Hukam Singh Phogat served as Haryana’s CM from 1990 to 1991, was even elected as MLA three times before becoming the CM. Hukam Singh also served as the Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana twice in his political career.
- Qualification NA.
9. Bhupinder Singh Hooda
Served as the Chief Minister of Haryana from 2005-2014, Bhupinder Singh Hooda is the current leader of the opposition in the Haryana Legislative Assembly. He is one of the two former CMs of Haryana who is alive. Bhupinder Hooda’s father, Ranbir Singh Hooda was a renowned freedom fighter.
- He did his BA from Panjab University, Chandigarh.
- He pursued Law from the Faculty of Law, University of Delhi.
10. Manohar Lal Khattar
The present CM of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar is serving as the 10th CM of the state. He is the member of Bhartiya Janta Party CM and represents Karnal constituency in Haryana Legislative Assembly.
- He completed his high school from Pandit Neki Ram Sharma Government College, Rohtak.
- He ran a shop near Sadar Bazar in Delhi while completing his bachelor’s degree from the University of Delhi.
This was the list of the qualifications and the degrees that Haryana’s CMs have pursued. While some are Postgraduate, the others have just completed their schooling, but their works in the field they have been indulged in are commendable.
ALSO READ | Education Qualifications Of 12 Chief Ministers Of Punjab Till 2022
Disclaimer: The above-mentioned details are taken from the internet. Kiddaan has not verified any information. If you find anything wrong, feel free to write and give your feedback to us.